According to a recent survey, 16% of older Americans aged 65 and up, eat fewer than 1000 calories per day. This means that a large number of seniors are at high risk of malnutrition.
As one ages, their body and nutrition requirements change. A senior may be malnourished because of:
- Physical disabilities that make it hard for them to get food
- Lack of social interaction and personal care
- Trouble swallowing or eating
- Medication that causes a decrease in appetite or creates bitter tastes on the tongue
Do You Suspect Your Loved One May Be Malnourished?
The following symptoms may help you determine whether your loved one is undernourished:
- Unintentional weight loss or low body weight
- Depression and lack of energy
- Frequent illnesses
- Weakened muscles
- Concerns with memory
Ways You Can Help
Not all people are equipped and ready to care for an aging loved one.
If you’re concerned about your senior’s wellbeing and health, but don’t have enough time and resources to care for them yourself, then entrusting your loved ones to a professional adult family home in Washington is your best choice.
Here at Bellevue Rose AFH Inc., we offer more than just a safe and friendly senior care home in Bellevue, Washington.
We also offer mental health services, personal care assistance, and Dementia Care to ensure that all our residents’ unique needs are met.
Learn more about our services today by sending us a message here: http://www.bellevuerose.com/senior-care-home-contact-us.